Below are 10 important parsley health benefits and side effects you need to know about, you will also learn the nutritional values of parsley, the dangerous side effects, and some unknown fun facts.
Parsley is a fresh flavored bright green biennial plant that is widely used in many countries on foods as a garnish, a seasoning in soups, sauces, and salads.
Parsley can be easily grown in your backyard or anywhere that receives direct sunlight. Parsley has many health benefits and is a great source of flavonoids, antioxidants, folic acid, vitamins A, K, and C.
- Origin-Central Mediterranean Region
- Plant– Apiaceae
- Scientific name – Petroselinum Crisp um
Nutritional facts of 100 g of parsley
- Calories -36
- Sodium – 56 mg
- Potassium – 554 mg
- Total carbs – 6 g
- Dietary fiber – 3.3 g
- Protein – 3 g
- Calcium – 13 %
- Vitamin A – 168 %
- Vitamin C – 221 %
- Vitamin B-6 – 5 %
- Iron – 34 %
- Magnesium – 12 %
Parsley Health Benefits And Side Effects
Various medical studies show that consuming parsley regularly can help treat or prevent the following conditions;
- Decreases tumor sizes in breast cancer patients
- Helps treat and prevent diabetes
- Help improve bone health
- Prevents skin cancer
- Boost immune system
- Reduces fluid retention
- Regulates blood pressure
- Reduces joint pain
- Reduces inflammation
- Relieves urinary tract infections
Side effects of parsley
Parsley contains a substance called oxalate which worsens gallbladder and kidney problems in people with existing symptoms.
Eating parsley is normally safe when consumed in recommended servings, that said parsley is also a uterine stimulant, therefore, pregnant women should be cautious when choosing meals that contain parsley.
The following symptoms are known to be associated with consuming large amounts of parsley in pregnant women.
- Induce contractions
- Premature labor
Facts about parsley
- There are two basic types of parsley that differ in taste and shape. Curly parsley is bitter and has wrinkled or creased leaves while Italian parsley has a strong flavor and flat leaves.
- Chewing fresh parsley can help in getting rid of bad breath especially after eating strong-smelling foods.
- It is best to add parsley near the end of cooking a dish to ensure the best flavor.
- Many cosmetic companies use parsley as the main ingredient in manufacturing varieties of soaps and body lotion.
- For more on parsley health benefits go here
- 19 Amazing Health Benefits Of Ginger
- 16 Important Health Benefits Of Carrots
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest for more facts on interesting foods.